Food Services

Menu Prices

District Menus


Meal Charge Policy

Students of Halstead-Bentley USD 440 are required to pay for meal fees in advance. Payment will be accepted in each attendance center office. Each students will have a meal account where advance payments will be posted. When a student’s meal account balance falls below a balance sufficient to pay for three meals, the student will receive payment reminder sheets.

If a student’s meal account balance becomes negative, the student will only be allowed to charge a maximum of 5 meals. Because the student meal cost is different per grade, the allowable charge amount will vary. A student will not be allowed to charge the purchase of an extra milk or second entre’ while the account has a negative balance. The parent/guardian must provide a sack lunch from home until there is a positive balance in the student meal account. If the student does not have a sack lunch and has a negative balance, the student will be provided with a cheese sandwich and milk for a maximum of 10 times during the school year. If arrangements can’t be made for the student to eat a sack lunch or school meals, the case will be turned over to the SRS as a “Child in Need of Care”.

Refunds for food service monies collect for student meal accounts shall be made at the time of student transfer, withdrawal, or at the close of the school year.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider