USD 440 is comprised of two communities, Halstead and Bentley. Bentley is home to Bentley Primary School (grades Kindergarten through 3rd) and Halstead is the home of Halstead Middle School (grades 4th through 8th) and Halstead High School (grades 9th through 12th).
Halstead is a city of approximately 1900 people located in south central Kansas. Wichita is located 25 minutes to the southeast of Halstead. Halstead has a golf course, swimming pool, downtown business district, and beautiful parks.
The town of Bentley is located 8 miles south of Halstead in Sedgwick County. It is a small rural community with approximately 370 citizens. The commute from Bentley to Wichita is less than 15 minutes. Halstead and Bentley are great places to raise kids. Each community provides a small town atmosphere, yet close enough to the metropolitan areas for entertainment. A best of both worlds! Both towns are proud of their schools and provide many activities for the children to do.
About USD 440
- Approximately 800 students and 125 employees
- Class sizes typically stay under 20
- All buildings have achieved Adequate Yearly Progress across every grade level in reading and mathematics
- All buildings have achieved the Standard of Excellence for several years
- Halstead High School Students ACT scores are greater than both the state and national average
- All classrooms are designated as 21st century with interactive whiteboards and LCD projectors
- Standard & Poors released the 2007 Kansas School Efficiency Study and named USD 440 as one of only 21 Kansas school districts to receive a score of 100%
Download a brochure about our district by clicking here.